Does Sweden have mountains?
Sweden boasts a varied and picturesque landscape that features numerous mountains. However, it is not typically classified as a mountainous country like Nepal or Switzerland. Nevertheless, there are indeed mountains in Sweden.
The country’s terrain is mainly composed of forests and lakes. Even so, mountainous regions can be found in the northern and western parts of Sweden.
Kebnekaise, which stands at 2,106 meters tall, is the highest mountain in the country. The Scandinavian Mountains, also known as the Scandes, run along Sweden’s western coast and extend into Norway, while the Kjolen Mountains run along the border between Norway and Sweden.
Are Swedish mountains a popular tourist destination?
The Swedish mountains are a popular destination for tourists, particularly those who enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking and skiing. While Sweden has other attractions and destinations, the mountains offer a unique experience and draw visitors from around the world.
During the winter months, the ski resorts in the mountains of Sweden are particularly popular, with places like Åre and Sälen attracting skiers and snowboarders of all levels. In the summer, the mountains offer opportunities for hiking, camping, fishing, and mountain biking.
In addition to outdoor activities, mountains in Sweden are home to stunning natural beauty and unique wildlife. Reindeer, arctic foxes, wolverines, and other animals, all inhabit these mountains.
Discovering the Top 5 Must-Visit Mountains in Sweden
Without further ado, let’s delve into the top 5 must-visit mountains in Sweden. They offer awe-inspiring views, challenging hikes, and an unforgettable experience.
Whether you’re an experienced mountaineer or a beginner looking to explore Sweden’s rugged landscapes, these mountains will leave you spellbound.
Kebnekaise | Mountains in Sweden
Kebnekaise is the highest mountain peak in Sweden, standing tall at an impressive 2,111 meters above sea level. It is situated in the northern part of the country, forming a part of the Scandinavian mountain range.
Kebnekaise is a popular destination for hikers and climbers, known for its rugged terrain and stunning natural beauty.
The name Kebnekaise originates from the Sami language, meaning “cauldron crest” because of the glacial valley located at the base of the mountain.
Hikers and mountaineers from across the globe are drawn to Kebnekaise to experience its challenging landscape and breathtaking views.
Outdoor activities in Kebnekaise
Kebnekaise offers a variety of outdoor activities that can be enjoyed during both summer and winter seasons.
- Hiking, with several trails that cater to hikers of all skill levels
- The challenging Kungsleden trail, which runs for 440 kilometers from Abisko to Hemavan
- Mountaineering, with Kebnekaise’s summit being a particularly challenging climb
- Cross-country skiing, with miles of snow-covered trails
- Snowshoeing, with guided tours available for all skill levels
- Ice-climbing, for the adventurous
- Winter wildlife watching, such as moose and reindeer, in Kebnekaise and the surrounding areas
Kebnekaise’s stunning natural beauty and vast expanse of wilderness make it the perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts seeking adventure and exploration.
Where to stay
If you’re planning a trip to Kebnekaise and need a place to stay, Enoks i Laddjujavri is an excellent choice. This cozy accommodation is located just a few kilometers from the trailhead, making it the perfect place to rest and prepare for your adventure.
The cabins are well-equipped with comfortable beds, a kitchenette, and a private bathroom, ensuring a peaceful and restful stay. Additionally, the breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and nearby lake provide a serene backdrop that will undoubtedly enhance your experience.
Overall, Enoks i Laddjujavri is the ideal accommodation option for those seeking comfort and convenience while exploring Kebnekaise.
Åreskutan | Mountains in Sweden
Åreskutan is a mountain located in the Jämtland region of Sweden. It’s a popular skiing destination and one of the highest mountains in the country.
The summit stands at an elevation of 1,420 meters, thus making it one of the highest mountains in Sweden. It is located in the province of Jämtland, near the town of Åre.
The mountain is easily accessible via a cable car that takes visitors to the top. At the summit, a restaurant and observation deck provides panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
Outdoor activities in Åreskutan
- Hiking: Åreskutan has many well-marked trails for hikers of all levels. The views from the summit are breathtaking.
- Mountain biking: The mountain has several trails for mountain bikers, including the popular downhill trail “Downhilll Åre”.
- Fishing: There are many lakes and streams around Åreskutan that are perfect for fishing.
- Skiing: Åreskutan is one of Sweden’s premier ski resorts, with a variety of slopes for all skill levels. The resort has 42 lifts and over 100 slopes.
- Snowboarding: The mountain is also popular among snowboarders, with a terrain park and half-pipe for freestyle riders.
- Dog sledding: For a unique experience, visitors can take a dog sled tour through the winter landscape around Åreskutan.
Where to stay
Hotell Fjällgården Åre is an excellent choice for those who want to visit Åreskutan mountain. It is located in the heart of Åre, within walking distance of the ski lifts and numerous hiking trails.
The hotel offers comfortable and well-equipped rooms, as well as a spa and sauna, perfect for relaxing after a day of outdoor activities.
The hotel restaurant serves delicious food made from local ingredients. Additionally, Hotell Fjällgården Åre is a reliable choice for both winter and summer seasons.
In winter, the hotel is ideally located for skiing and snowboarding, while in summer, it offers easy access to hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities.
Nuolja | Mountains in Sweden
Nuolja mountain, located in Abisko National Park, Sweden, is a captivating and enchanting destination for hikers, climbers, and nature enthusiasts. This breathtaking mountain stands tall at 1,163 meters and boasts awe-inspiring views of the surrounding landscape.
For starters, the trail to Nuolja mountain is well-marked and accessible, making it a popular destination for hikers of all levels. The trail is surrounded by lush vegetation, wildflowers, and an abundance of wildlife, making the journey to the summit a truly immersive experience. Moreover, the trail offers a perfect balance of challenging and easy stretches, ensuring a satisfying hiking experience for everyone.
Once at the summit, visitors are rewarded with a panoramic view of Abisko National Park, Sweden’s most visited national park, and the surrounding snow-capped mountains. The view is simply breathtaking and will leave anyone in awe of nature’s beauty.
Moreover, the summit of Nuolja mountain offers several other activities, such as climbing, skiing, and paragliding, making it a perfect destination for adventure seekers. The mountain also has a chairlift that takes visitors to the top of the mountain, providing a more comfortable experience for those who do not wish to hike to the summit.
Outdoor activities in Nuolja
- Hiking: With its stunning views, Nuolja mountain is a popular spot for hikers. The trails vary in difficulty, catering to both experienced and novice hikers. Additionally, hiking offers a chance to explore the rich flora and fauna of the mountain.
- Mountain biking: Nuolja’s rugged terrain also provides a challenging and rewarding experience for mountain bikers. Several trails are available for bikers to explore, ranging from easy to advanced levels.
- Fishing: Nuolja mountain is surrounded by lakes and streams that offer a variety of fish, including trout and arctic char. Fishing is a peaceful and relaxing way to experience the beauty of the area.
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Nuolja has several ski slopes that cater to both beginners and experienced skiers. The mountain’s location in the Swedish Lapland also means visitors can enjoy skiing under the Northern Lights.
- Snowshoeing: For a more laid-back winter experience, snowshoeing is a popular activity on Nuolja. The mountain’s trails are perfect for this activity, offering a chance to experience the beauty of the area at a slower pace.
- Seeing the Northern Lights: As mentioned, Nuolja’s location in the Swedish Lapland offers visitors a chance to witness the stunning Northern Lights. It’s a truly magical experience that shouldn’t be missed.
Where to stay
If you’re planning a visit to Nuolja mountain in Sweden, the STF Abisko Mountain Station is an excellent accommodation option to consider. This is because the mountain station is located just a few kilometers from the mountain, making it easy and convenient to access.
Additionally, the station offers a range of amenities that make it an ideal base for exploring the area. For instance, you can enjoy comfortable rooms, delicious meals, and various outdoor activities offered by the station.
Moreover, the station has experienced and knowledgeable staff who can help you plan and organize your visit to the mountain.
Fulufjället | Mountains in Sweden
Fulufjället is a mountain located in the Fulufjället National Park in Sweden. It is considered to be the highest mountain in the park and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
The mountain stands out among the others in the park due to its unique shape and geological formations. Fulufjället also boasts a diverse range of flora and fauna, making it a popular destination for hikers and nature enthusiasts.
In addition, the park is home to the spectacular Njupeskär waterfall, which is one of the highest waterfalls in Sweden and adds to the overall beauty and appeal of the area.
Outdoor activities in Fulufjället
Fulufjället is an excellent mountain for outdoor enthusiasts because it offers a variety of activities both in summer and winter. Visitors can hike or cycle in the summer, while in the winter, they can ski, snowshoe, or go ice fishing.
Additionally, the mountain’s lakes and rivers provide opportunities for fishing and canoeing/kayaking during the summer.
For those who want to experience something more unique, dog sledding and snowmobiling are also available during the winter.
- Hiking: Fulufjället offers various hiking trails with stunning views of the surrounding landscape.
- Fishing: The mountain’s lakes and rivers offer fishing opportunities for trout and grayling.
- Canoeing and kayaking: Visitors can explore the park’s waterways by canoe or kayak.
- Cycling: There are bike trails available for visitors who prefer to explore the park on two wheels.
- Birdwatching: Fulufjället is home to a variety of bird species, including eagles, owls, and woodpeckers.
- Skiing: The park has numerous ski trails, including cross-country and downhill skiing options.
- Snowshoeing: Visitors can explore the park’s winter landscape on snowshoes.
- Ice fishing: The mountain’s frozen lakes offer ice fishing opportunities.
- Dog sledding: Fulufjället offers dog sledding experiences for visitors to enjoy.
- Snowmobiling: Visitors can rent snowmobiles to explore the park’s snowy terrain.
Where to stay
For those planning to visit Fulufjället Mountain, the accommodation at Fulufjällsgården is the best option.
Firstly, the hotel is situated just a 10-minute drive away from the mountain, making it easily accessible. Additionally, the hotel offers a range of facilities, including a sauna, restaurant, and free Wi-Fi, making for a comfortable stay.
Furthermore, the hotel is also located close to other attractions, such as the Njupeskär Waterfall and the Old Tjikko tree, the world’s oldest known living tree.
Guests can explore these attractions while staying at the hotel, making it a great option for those looking to explore the area.
Storsylen | Mountains in Sweden
Storsylen is a mountain located on the border between Sweden and Norway. Its highest peak, Storsylen 1, reaches an elevation of 1,762 meters (5,781 feet) and is the highest point in the region.
Storsylen is known for its challenging hiking trails and spectacular views of the surrounding landscape. It is also considered a culturally significant site, as it was a meeting place for Sami people for thousands of years.
The mountain is accessible from both the Swedish and Norwegian sides, and there are several cabins and campsites in the area for hikers and climbers.
Outdoor activities in Storsylen
Storsylen offers a range of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy. Here are the activities that Storsylen offers during the summer and winter seasons:
- Hiking: Storsylen is a popular destination for hiking, with various trails available for hikers of different skill levels. The trails offer stunning views of the surrounding landscape, including glaciers and lakes.
- Fishing: Storsylen’s lakes and rivers offer excellent opportunities for fishing, with various species of fish available.
- Canoeing and kayaking: Visitors can explore the lakes and rivers of Storsylen by canoe or kayak, offering a unique perspective of the landscape.
- Mountain biking: There are several mountain biking trails in the Storsylen area, with varying levels of difficulty.
- Rock climbing: Storsylen’s rocky terrain provides opportunities for rock climbing for experienced climbers.
- Skiing: Storsylen offers excellent skiing opportunities, with various ski slopes available for skiers of different levels.
- Cross-country skiing: Visitors can explore the snowy landscape of Storsylen by cross-country skiing on the many trails available.
- Snowshoeing: Visitors can take a guided snowshoe tour to explore the snowy landscape of Storsylen.
- Ice fishing: Storsylen’s frozen lakes offer opportunities for ice fishing, with various species of fish available.
- Dog sledding: Visitors can take a dog sledding tour to explore the winter landscape of Storsylen, guided by experienced mushers.
Where to stay
If you’re planning to visit Storsylen, the Storlien Högfjällshotell is an excellent accommodation choice. While it’s not the closest option to the mountain, there are several compelling reasons to stay here.
Firstly, the location is stunning, with breathtaking scenery all around. It’s a peaceful and welcoming environment where you can unwind and soak up the natural beauty.
Additionally, the rooms are tastefully furnished and provide all the amenities you need for a comfortable stay. The staff is friendly and accommodating, always ready to assist with any queries or requests.
While it’s not right next to the mountain, the Storlien Högfjällshotell is still located within easy reach of Storsylen. You can easily reach the trailhead by taking a short drive or bus ride, and the ascent to the summit is a satisfying experience.
Mountains in Sweden: Final thoughts
Sweden’s mountainous terrain offers a unique adventure for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. With its snow-capped peaks and picturesque landscapes, the mountains in Sweden are a breathtaking sight to behold.
Whether it’s hiking through the lush forests, skiing on powdery slopes, or simply taking in the stunning views, there is something for everyone. As the sun sets over the mountain range, the sky turns into a painting of orange, pink, and purple hues, providing a truly mesmerizing experience.
Whether you’re a seasoned mountaineer or a beginner looking for a new challenge, the mountains in Sweden offer endless opportunities for exploration and discovery.